Thursday, April 1, 2010

Free hug anyone?

I was recently asked by an enigmatic new friend to help organise a 'reclaim love' party in Carmarthen town centre. I was dubious, so I checked out their website, and instantly felt more dubious. A bunch of hippies all holding hands and spreading the love. It was very 60s, very Woodstock, very un-Carmarthen. I said 'yes'. 


It was short notice, but we managed to organise some free-loving folk via Facebook. I wigged-up for the event to give myself something to hide behind, and decided the best way to spread the love was to give out free hugs. So I fashioned together some signs from cardboard, old xmas wrapping paper and my mum's bingo pen. 


On the morning of the event I wanted to pull out, this was going to be humiliating. But despite being terrified we'd get punched by Carmarthen townies, or arrested, it went brilliantly. Most people were willing to get a hug, some said they hadn't been hugged all week, people hugged each other, teenagers joined in hugging strangers, and I hugged people I wouldn't usually sit next to on a bus. 


It felt great. Nearly everyone went away laughing or in the least smiling, and I came away buzzing. If we didn't spread love that day, we definitely spread some happiness. Brilliant.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you in for this year's Reclaim Love.
    You're brilliant and the effects are happy memories all round for those who may not be hugged for another year.
    The poster for the event is here:
    http://eclecticx.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/reclaim-love-poster-a4.jpg
    "Namaste"

    ReplyDelete